Hello, and welcome back to Equity, the podcast about the business of startups, where we unpack the numbers and nuance behind the headlines.
Our Monday show covers the latest in tech news from the weekend and what’s making headlines early in the week. Welcome to Q4 2023, the period in which we are all going to pretend to have gotten enough done this year.
Here’s what we got into on the show today:
- Stocks are mixed around the world while crypto tokens are enjoying a nice price-upswing in recent days.
- A recent article argues that Apple has all the ingredients it needs to build a search engine to take on Google and Microsoft. At issue? The fact that Apple makes so much money not having a search engine. For startups, more competition here could be good.
- EU telcos want to get paid twice, unsurprisingly.
- While the Amazon-FTC case is still big news, this week we’ll see the trial of former FTX maven SBF kick off. TechCrunch is ready.
- And to close out, why are we seeing so many seed-stage fintech deals? Here’s the answer.
Stick close to TechCrunch this week, it’s going to be busy.